Nine new interdisciplinary members will support efforts to bring clean seafood to the world.
BlueNalu, an aquaculture startup with a mission to create and provide clean seafood to the world, announced today the formation of its world-class, interdisciplinary advisory board, including leaders at the forefront of ocean health, the culinary industry, and food commercialization. Global demand for seafood is at an all-time high, and supply cannot keep pace with demand, as populations of marine species have halved since 1970. BlueNalu will supplement current fishing efforts and produce seafood directly from fish cells, in a way that is healthy for people, humane for animals, and sustainable for our planet.
The newly appointed board represents a diversity of industries, non-profits, and academic backgrounds and hail from major multinational organizations including Campbell Soup Co., Nestlé, the Prince Albert II of Monaco Foundation, and the Culinary Institute of America. They will serve as strategic advisors in guiding the direction and scale of BlueNalu’s growing company.
“The team at BlueNalu is the most experienced in the industry and is clearly able to manage the scale of this endeavor, and I am excited to contribute alongside these visionaries” says Pierre-Yves Cousteau, global environmental consultant and President of Cousteau Divers. “I have a very personal relationship with the sea, and BlueNalu’s impacts can lead to a significant improvement to our global health, and to the sustainability of our oceans.”
“I am thrilled to be part of this company that can provide my favorite ingredient, seafood, in a modern way that we could only dream of,” said Roy Yamaguchi, founder of Roy’s Restaurants and international culinary visionary. “The possibilities for seafood produced via the BlueNalu technology are endless–from providing year-round seafood options that are normally seasonal, to broadening taste palettes by providing species normally inaccessible from across the globe.”
The nine new advisory board members include:
- Carlos Barroso: President, CJB and Associates; Former SVP Global R&D Campbell Soup Co.; Former SVP R&D, PepsiCo
- Pierre-Yves Cousteau: President, Cousteau Divers; Environmental Consultant
- Susie Fogelson: President, Fogelson & Co.; Former SVP Marketing and Brand Strategy, Food Network and Cooking Channel
- John B. Kelly, III: President, Prince Albert II of Monaco Foundation USA
- Kevin Lyons, PhD: Associate Professor Supply Chain Environmental Management, Rutgers Business School
- Timothy Morck, PhD: President, Spectrum Nutrition, LLC; Former VP Science & Regulatory Affairs, Nestlé USA Corporate Affairs; Former VP Personalized Nutrition, DSM
- L. Timothy Ryan, EdD: President, Culinary Institute of America; Certified Master Chef and Culinary Olympics Champion
- Roy Yamaguchi: Founder, Roy’s Restaurants, James Beard Award Winner
- Yonathan Zohar, PhD: Chair, Department of Marine Biotechnology, University of Maryland
BlueNalu was founded in 2018 with a unique team of business, science, operations, marketing, and culinary experts as integral parts of the company since its inception. This addition of nine advisory board members supplements the talented BlueNalu team with experts in a variety of functional areas that will be required for the global launch and commercial success for BlueNalu’s cell-based seafood products.
Board members will serve as advisors to BlueNalu in matters such as business and market development, science and technology, operations and commercialization, consumer marketing and communication, nutrition and regulatory affairs, product development and optimization, and the environmental and sustainability impacts associated with the Company.
To date, BlueNalu has attracted $4.5 million in funding, that originated from more than 25 investors from five nations, and it has initiated design plans for its first factory.
For more information about BlueNalu, visit bluenalu.com.